John J. Metzidis
- Top 5 Films: E.T., Ordinary People, The Truman Show, Chinatown, and The Graduate.
- Top 5 Fiction Works: 1984, The Great Gatsby, The Mysteries of Pittsburg, The Big Sleep, and The Picture of Dorian Gray.
- Top 5 Homemade Greek Delicacies: Spanakopita, Pastitio, Melomakarona, Karidopita, Kalitsounia.
John J. Metzidis
John J. Metzidis is a trial lawyer with over a decade of litigation experience. He is a generalist and litigates all sorts of business-related disputes, although he has particular experience in the fields of intellectual property, entertainment, real estate, healthcare, partnership/shareholder disputes, and employment.
John is thoroughly versed in all phases of civil litigation, be it pre-filing investigation, pleading, provisional remedies, discovery, dispositive motions, settlement, trial, appeal, and judgment enforcement. From beginning to conclusion, John has managed cases both on his own, and as part of a team of litigators.
John was born and raised in Southern California, but received his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in Philadelphia. He began his legal career at Morrison & Foerster LLP in Los Angeles.
John spends his free time enjoying fitness, distance running (2018 L.A. Marathon finisher, but never mind his time), reading history, and visiting friends and family. He also spends his free time (but does not enjoy) obsessing over politics and current events. Among the creatures that inhabit his home are a Cocker Spaniel / Golden Retriever mix (Charlie) and a Russian Blue / Siberian kitty (Trotsky).
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2008
- University of California Los Angeles, B.S. in Mathematics and Economics, 2004
Honors, Awards, and Affiliations
- Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law, Associate Editor and Executive Editor, 2006-2008
- Extern (Summer 2006), U.S. District Judge James V. Selna (Central District of California)
- Represented the buyer in a dispute over a failed real estate transaction for purchase and construction of a commercial warehouse. Pursued a successful appeal that resulted in (1) substantial reversal of adverse judgment and (2) summary judgment awarded to John’s client. John devised an appellate strategy and was the principal drafter of the briefs on appeal.
- On behalf of an employer in dispute with former employee, obtained a TRO and preliminary injunction that compelled former employee’s compliance with terms of prior agreement that prohibited certain public communications.
- Successful defense through trial of majority owners and officers against claims for breach of fiduciary duty in connection with a corporate restructuring and refinance transaction. The court trial resulted in a total defense judgment. Following John’s cross-examination of plaintiffs’ damages expert, plaintiffs withdrew the expert’s testimony.
- Represented a private school in arbitrations brought by former employees asserting claims for employment discrimination. Both arbitrations resulted in defense awards in favor of John’s client.
- Represented a closely-held company and its majority owners in arbitration and related state court proceedings brought by minority shareholder. John prevailed on a motion for terminating sanctions awarded in favor of his clients, and successfully opposed the plaintiff’s motion for appointment of a receiver pending the arbitration. John also briefed and argued a related writ petition in the Court of Appeal that raised questions of arbitrability.
- Defended a trade show company and obtained a favorable settlement of putative class action asserting claims under the Unruh Civil Rights Act related to admission pricing.
- First-chaired a three-day bench trial of claims against an individual for breach of a professional services agreement. John prevailed at trial, succeeded in obtaining an award of attorney’s fees, and briefed, argued, and succeeded in defending the judgment and fee award on appeal.
- Represented a hospital system in litigation against a doctors’ group and a management services organization over amounts due under a risk pool agreement.
- Represented a gaming company as plaintiff in a trademark counterfeiting action against its former U.S. distributor. John took a number of critical depositions in which witnesses invoked the Fifth Amendment, and provided substantial assistance in preparing a successful summary judgment motion that established defendant’s liability. Case settled during trial after defendant stipulated that its counterfeiting was done willfully.
- Pro bono matters include assisting with amicus briefs in the field of LGBT rights (including litigation over Prop. 8 and California’s ban on conversion therapy); and representing a domestic violence survivor with immigration matters.