With a long history of representing clients in the entertainment industry, at Grodsky, Olecki & Puritsky LLP our expertise is diverse and deep, spanning issues involving trademark, copyright, management disputes, defamation, invasion of privacy, right of publicity, profit participation, royalty payments, the interpretation of recording, film, distribution, and talent contracts, and entertainment industry employment disputes.
Grodsky, Olecki & Puritsky LLP has a broad base of entertainment clients, from internationally recognized actors and musicians, writers, and other talent, to creators of iconic characters, independent production companies, individual record and movie industry executives and business owners.
We have also represented scores of other entertainment professionals, including managers, composers, screenwriters, photographers, software designers, inventors and entrepreneurs. We are sensitive to the unique issues surrounding disputes in the entertainment industry, and have experience working within a team of agents, managers, and other advisors to protect the interests of our clients, both inside the courtroom and out.
- In a case brought by a manager against his former musician client for a percentage of a major record deal the musician obtained, Grodsky, Olecki & Puritsky LLP obtained a defense arbitration award in favor of the musician.
- Boyz II Men sued Henderson to prevent her and her publisher from distributing an "authorized" biography of the group. Representing Boyz II Men, Grodsky, Olecki & Puritsky LLP obtained summary judgment in their favor, which was affirmed on appeal.
- An actress formerly appearing on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air television series sued Will Smith for defamation. Grodsky, Olecki & Puritsky LLP represented Smith in an evidentiary arbitration in which our client was found not liable.
- In a multi-district dispute over alleged bonus payment to its former president, Grodsky, Olecki & Puritsky LLP achieved an early dismissal of all California state claims against a New York-based film production and distribution company.
- Grodsky, Olecki & Puritsky LLP defended a record label in a copyright infringement case relating to a critically acclaimed rap album, and ultimately secured a minimal “nuisance value” settlement in exchange for dismissal of the entire case.